May 4, 2014

Bits and Pieces of Collage Work

Not wanting to waste time and materials, I figured out what I wanted to do with the two long ei mock-up acrylic paintings that I had painted earlier for the eight sides of a client’s painted box. At first, I thought to keep them as two long paintings. But after looking at the compositions I decided to cut each long piece into four separate squarish paintings. These I refinished as decorative paintings, adding metallic leaf, brighter colors, stamped designs and loads of patterned textures. Finally, I cut each one into sections and reassembled them, mosaic style, onto a standard eight by ten piece of acrylic gesso primed paper. Because the original painted composition was closer to a square than a rectangle, I had to expand the compositions in my cutting and reassembling and used decorative borders. When they are all finished, I’ll have seven small eight by ten collages. One of the eight paintings just didn’t suit at all so I used it to make textures on to fill up the spaces in the remaining collages.

No comments: