November 9, 2013

Do Design Cats Go with Everything?

Do words sometimes get in the way of pictures? In my last illustration for my ongoing Book of Marvelous Cats, I was stumped while trying to come up with an image for the poem “Designer Cats.” I think what tripped me up was the last line of the poem...”Designer Cats go with everything.” I just could not come up with a design that worked because I kept designing an environment then trying to fit the cats into it. Things became easier one day when I drew the cats first then worked in an environment to suit them. So the forms and patterns on the cushions and vase were determined by the fur and the tails of cats rather than vice versa.


So many cat illustrations! I’ll be taking a break from these to work on some ceramics for a short while. That usually helps freshen up ideas.

No comments: