August 19, 2013

Fossil Fish in Inks and Oil Pastels

I received a belated birthday gift of water soluble color pencils. It was not a medium that I had used before so it was a different experience drawing with them. For my experimental drawing I used a sketch of fossils from a page of my natural history museum notebook. I first outlined the fine boney structures in the color pencils, then added flat areas of oil pastels around the forms. After moistening the pencils, the colors ran into and stopped at the areas of oil resist creating isolated areas of transparent ink color against an opaque background.


This little drawing was created in a different medium not only to experiment with my lovely gift, but to celebrate a benchmark number of completed drawings - two hundred now since I started my great revision project. More to come.

No comments: