July 27, 2020

Liberty Snake all Sewn Up

Looking in my archive, I see that I had stopped the Liberty Snake project in late 2017 or early 2018.  The reason I gave in my last blog post was that I had lost my access to a sewing machine and was loathe to sew these eighteen foot long art works up by hand.   One of the reasons for beginning them again, however, was the realization that I would not have access to a sewing machine in the future unless I purchased one.  Not being a seamstress and not therefore having a reason to own a sewing machine after this project was finished, I resigned myself to doing these last pieces by hand.
Another factor in my leaving this body of work incomplete,  however, was simply laziness and boredom.  I have a bad habit of abandoning  projects when I am nearly three quarters of the way through.  The allure of the new and the enticement of fresh supplies would entice me away from the work to be done.  That changed with  this great pandemic of 2020.  As exhibitions, book readings, courses, and client purchases dropped off one after another like dominoes, it behooved me to put the break on all purchases of new art equipment and supplies.   Instead, I rummaged around my studio for what available materials and projects almost completed.  I counted two painted “snake skins” that needed to be sewn up.  My last blog post featured the first one.  Here is the second one.   It would have been great for a rally for reproductive rights!


As with my previous snake, I put my small collection of old mother of pearl buttons to use for the eye.

No comments: