July 29, 2020

An Optimistic Snake Design for the Americans with Disabilities Act: Celebrating 30 Years

With all my painted snakes sewn up, I turned to painting the remainder of the cut out, sized muslin.  I initially counted six more unpainted pieces, and calculated that I could finish these for the month of July.  Then I encountered two more, so it looked like this project would stretch into August, barring unforeseen difficulties and distractions. 
The first newly painted snake was completed in time to celebrate the thirtieth anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act.   He was part of a video sent to the ADA and Arts Access.  Of all the new snakes, the Don’t Tread on the Disabled snake came the closest to being at a rally, albeit a virtual one.


This snake uses the same stamp that I had used earlier on the Don’t Tread on Black Lives snake.  Since the ADA was fashioned after civil rights actions and legislation, it seemed an appropriate reflection.  While the former stamp was light on dark, this one was dark on light.  After the printing on this one, I spent a considerable amount of time working over the prints with fine lines and colorful details.  This design also incorporates some metal leaf, which I rediscovered while rummaging up supplies in my studio.

No comments: