September 25, 2013

Painting While Other Art Cooks

I’ve been burning the proverbial candle from both ends, painting and making ceramics. The painting/collages from the Chinese paper cuts have been keeping me busy while I’ve been waiting for the pit fired ceramics to cook, then be cleaned, then polished. Then the pottery will need to be photographed and most likely corrected in photoshop as well. So in the mean time my small works are keeping me occupied.


Slowly, I’ve become more adventurous with the painting - straying further and further from the model. The painting posted today represents an entirely remade art work, with multiple layers of colors and patterns on the figures, oddly perched upon exotic birds. I wish I knew the meaning of that. The background of the painting is an invention that is reminiscent of the Buddhist grottoes I saw in China years ago. Only those caves were either empty or holding a stone Buddha. So even though I thought I was straying from east to west in this painting, the encapsulation of the figures harkens more towards eastern than western art. There is not much more that I can say about the piece. It is just an exercise.

No comments: