December 8, 2020

The Pandemic Pit Players: A Parallel Narrative

 For the length of the pandemic this year, from March through November, my energy was focused upon dispatching with excess clay by making creative musical instruments and other, mostly pit-fired ceramics.  The greatest largess here was the little creatures that I dubbed The Pit Players - little clay anthropomorphous animal forms that I found I could configure into creative dioramas. The backdrop I used was, for the most part, a commercial flotone backdrop that worked well with three-dimensional art.

My last post demonstrated the process by which I created the Pit Players.  The rest of my posts this year will be dedicated to the little “plays” and recreations of famous films that I set these players to work on.  Like most of my creative work, this started out as a joke.  But over time, the sets became more elaborate, the Players more complex, and personalities emerged.

I believe it all began with a recreation of The Great Escape, using simple props.


This was followed by 2001, a Space Odyssey.


Then a simple set up reproduced Psycho.



No comments: