August 11, 2020

A Liberty Snake for Public Health

 

Liberty Snake number 20.  I had painted other “Don’t Tread On...” snakes in previous years for health related issues, but this year it occurred to me that public health would be especially apropos.  This snake insists on public safety and protection from disease through a viable program for public health.  Why should that not be considered a right? 

The “Don’t Tread on Public Health” painted snake incorporates imprints from a large stamp that I don’t believe I have previously used in this project.  
A close up of the detail in the pattern reveals the individual stamped design - something like stylized scattered wheat.  


While painting the snake eye, I began by outlining with some spikes of orange.  I then realized that I perhaps was unconsciously recreating the now iconic and ubiquitous  image of the coronavirus that constantly before us.  This was brought out with a bit more intent with some modifications.


At the tail end of the snake, there are a few stamps that are not like the others.  This one was actually a form carved on the obverse side of the “scattered wheat” stamp (My frugal nature has me carving both sides of linoleum blocks).  On this side of the stamp, I carved a Chinese seal script character for “Kang,” or “health.”  It seemed a fitting end.

No comments: