May 7, 2019

New and Restored Paintings for Beaufort


Late winter and late summer have been the traditional time for me to paint South Carolina landscapes. This is because my Beaufort gallery includes these paintings in their spring and autumn open gallery evening art walks.

This summer, however, it looks as though there will be a third event inserted in to the middle of the year. A surprise event that also takes me by surprise because this calls for new work. My new work actually is a combination of older work, revised work, and new pieces. The work below is called Pillar of Kudzu, and was featured in a book about kudzu some years ago. Now the painting has been brought out of storage and will hopefully find a better home than my utility room.

The painting, Red Tobacco Barn, above, is painted over an old canvas of a scene from Nashville. I was never comfortable about the Nashville painting so it has now become rural South Carolina. Painting over a base painting has allowed me to use the palette knife to trowel on colors, then overlay with transparent glazes.  At least one painting, The Red Shed, seen here, remained unaltered.


The painting, Tar Roof, is a reworking of an older painting. I liked the black tire hung on the side of the building that offsets the tar roof.

No comments: