October 10, 2018

Meet and Greet the Artist at the Portfolio Art Gallery

 
On Saturday, October 20, the Portfolio Art Gallery   will be hosting a Meet and Greet the Artist event.  I will be available to talk about new work, old work, and to answer questions about my art.  The event will run from 1PM to 4PM.  The gallery is located on Devine Street at Five Points in Columbia, SC.  For more details contact the Portfolio Art Gallery at 803 256-2434. 
 
The mosaic pictured above is a ceramic and glass piece that was created some time ago and was a part of a traveling exhibition in 2002.  The mosaic, called “Awakening” came home after the exhibition and stayed with me in Orangeburg.  I decided that this is now something I should part with.   It is a large, complex piece, made in several parts and using glass that has gold and silver leaf adhered to the back. 
 
The central face and hands were made from life casts of a friend’s face and my hands.  The braided hair was formed with twisted clay coils then fired with a glaze.  The face itself is decorated with cathedral glass and fused glass.
 
All of the eyes were made in my kiln by fusing glass over mica chips.  These mica chips developed a metallic sheen in the firing process.  The light penetrates the clear tinted glass and refracts off of the embedded mica. 

No comments: