May 31, 2018

A Painting of Roman Glass

Last winter, and the winter before that, I spent some time looking at ancient Roman and Byzantine glass at the Metropolitan Museum of Art as well as the Princeton University Art Museum in New Jersey. One of the pictures I took from a study collection at Princeton University was so well balanced in composition that I did not alter it by much when I painted it, save to turn the middle vessel blue from green, and the green fish vessel in to violet.

These are painted on an amber coated gesso panel with thin glazes of color to create a glass like effect. On top of that I used mica enhanced pigments, the glitter effect reflecting the crystalized ancient glass.

For the background I made repeat patterns based upon the arch in the fish vessel.

No comments: