November 22, 2017

Cyber Sale Art

The end of the year holiday season generally takes me by surprise. This year I decided to prepare early. In September I polished up my web site. In October I reactivated my Etsy online market and made new business cards. In November new business stationary was printed. November also saw my book signing and my studio sale.

Setting up for my studio sale  allowed me to review a large body of work and notice some previously unobserved confluences across media. The pit fired vessels harkened back to the time I made large ink and watercolor paintings. I put them by an ink painting double portrait I had done years ago which was recently returned to me. I definitely like the marks made by sooty inks on paper and black smoke on ceramic.

My recent gallery wrapped printed paintings bore an uncanny resemblance to my earlier designs in ceramic. The gallery wrapped pieces were my way of combining materials that were odds and ends from other work: leftover painted muslin with stamped designs from my Liberty Snake project, an assortment of wood frames to pull the muslin over, ceramic sculptural buttons to top everything off. The ceramic sculptures the echo these designs are musical instruments that I will be making some performance videos of next month.

Other corners of the room exhibited confluences in design. The red arc of a plastic tongue in a snake reflected the red arc of a snake in the painting above it. In fact everything in that corner had a red theme.

I found the perfect antique easel for a tile with a dog design on it, the spots also echoed in the ceramic whistle below.

Thus far there were no takers on my little square canvases so I just loaded them up on Etsy for half the price that canvases that size generally go for and will hope for a good cyber weekend. With these small canvases I’ve reached my goal of having at least a hundred works available in this online shop: https://www.etsy.com/search?q=Janet%20Kozachek

No comments: