March 25, 2017

Jade Snake for Earth Day

The muslin wrapping, or skin, of my next Liberty Snake for Earth Day has just been painted. This one took about two days to paint for the overlapping patterns and textures. This time I used a series of small stamps to build up the patterns. 
As this project is progressing, I am interpreting "snake" with greater artistic license. They are increasingly just long paintings with a head and a tail. In fact the head and tails even have different patterns. For this last snake, I even painted both sides of the snake with different patterns. And looking towards a future when someone might like to have one, I now only letter the slogan on one side, leaving a proud owner of the work the option of hanging the work with just the design side showing. 

My pet name for this snake is The Jade snake, so named for the vibrant dark blues and greens. It reminds me of some of the dark jades I used to see in China. Jade snake is embellished on one side with prints of leaves. It seemed fitting for Earth Day. His slogan calls for the preservation of the EPA. My reading material for my painting this week has been a history of the Environmental Protection Agency. We need it.  

I am hoping to find someone with a sewing machine willing to have a try at sewing this snakes up. I fear though, that they might be too heavy and that I’ll be obliged to painstakingly stitch them by hand. I was originally going to make ten. I might just cap this project at seven.

No comments: