February 9, 2017

A Liberty Snake for Arts Advocacy Day with More to Come

My first Liberty Snake was rolled out in to the public sphere on Tuesday, February 7th, at the South Carolina State House. The "Don’t Tread on our Arts" snake, fashioned after the "Don’t Tread on Me" American Gadsden flag, was a lively presence at Arts Advocacy Day.


The snake was filled with recycled plastic bags filled with recycled styrofoam peanuts. A recycled plastic bottle filled with polyvinyl resin bits and small tacks made for a rattle. The corrugation on the plastic bottle even looked like a rattle snake’s rattle.

My next Liberty Snakes will be for the Science March on Washington. The skin of the first one is already painted and lettered. Fortunately, the Science March is not until April 22, so I still have some lead time for these.

Because my home is basically a small cottage, I am having to come up with ways to store these snakes when they are not in use. I came up with the idea of sealing them with velcro, so that they can be unzipped and emptied in between events. I may also change the filling to recycled gallon water bottles taped end to end. Perhaps I may fill these as well to make the snake very noisy indeed.

No comments: