March 28, 2008

The Other Side of the Mask, Three




My double-sided mask series concludes for the month with the cement painting and inlay on the obverse side of my recently completed raku pottery shard mask. Instead of tightly fitting the pieces this time, I tinted the cement blue and placed polyvinyl resin triangles sporadically around a central piece of fused glass. Since the glass was pasted onto the opposite side of the forehead of the mask, this left a hollow space behind the flat glass. I made a mental note here that this feature can be exploited in future projects to place objects in the space behind the glass to create the impression of a reliquary. I have to interrupt my pursuit of this project, however, to finish a conference paper, after which my teaching schedule will become busy. I expect to start my reliquary project, God willing, in late May. The preview is tantalizing though.

1 comment:

Tamara Gantt said...

This mask is fantastic. Remind me to tell you about a mask art project I did with students and another teacher at the State University of West Georgia.