May 27, 2021

Paper and Steel: Three Versions of "Initiate" and a Poem by Tamara Miles




  On of my tiny drawings, entitled “Initiate,” was selected as part of the brochure for Paper and Steel. But try as I might, I could not locate this drawing.  As the time to hang  this exhibition drew near, I figured that the only solution to the dilemma of the lost work was to draw it over again.  The first drawing was a mere 4" x 6,” so I decided to make the copy 9" x 12,” which better suited its place among the other 9" x 12" charcoal and ink paintings.  So this was hung with the rest of the exhibitions of calligraphic dancers, and I never mentioned that this was a replacement.

Then news came of a small painting that I had made from the sketch, also 4" x 6.”  This color version was sold at the Artists for Africa exhibition.  My donation made me feel a little less useless as an artist and someone in Africa will get needed food, shelter and clothing - perhaps even a dance scholarship.



The night of the Ekphrastic Poetry Reading at Paper and Steel came next.  The poet Tamara Miles selected the drawing of Initiate to write for.  Ah! I thought.  Good thing that I replaced this drawing.  The new drawing, was a bit more lively than the original drawing but not quite as fancy as the painting.  Dr. Miles gave an outstanding performance of her moving poem, which she is graciously sharing for this blog post and other social media.  The poem will be attached to the wall near the painting so it can be appreciated in person.  Paper and Steel will be on exhibit at the Orangeburg County Fine Arts Center until June 30.  


Initiate

-Tamara Miles, after a drawing by Janet Kozachek


To begin, I raise my arms

In perfect praise


to be introduced,

a spark flown

from the initiator’s hand --


and if I learn the way of peace,

an operatic sway,


what promises are made to me?


Just one: You’ll never be the same,


as wild ones once are tamed,

and wild no more.


This ceremony seals,

a holy spirit steals

our names.


An oogenesis occurs --

where we were, 

someone newborn.


Whatever oath was asked,

we’ve sworn.


No comments: