November 2, 2020

Curious Sculptures for a Folksy Curio

 The impetus to create ceramic sculptures this past summer and autumn was initially fueled by a repair.  A few years ago, I was given a very rustic handmade shelf.  It was in a second hand shop and was initially for sale, but it was so rugged with unfinished wood and coarsely filled with holes that the shop owner just asked me to take it.  



The shelf sat in my studio for nearly a year and a half before I finally decided to make an attempt to repair it.  To do this, I applied liberal amounts of wood putty, then sanded to a relatively smooth surface.  I then painted the shelf with white enamel.  Adding mirror hinges and wire to the back got the shelf off the floor.

For the next few months, I made my ceramic musical instruments in the shape of chairs and sofas that were sized to fit the niches in this rustic curio.  A large assortment of these allowed for alternative arrangements.  



What a strange motivation for a body of work!  Every artist has their muse.  It can be a painting in a museum, an inspiring mentor, a good book.  Mine was a junk shop item begging for repair and rehabilitation - the lackluster craftsmanship compensated for by sincerity of purpose. 

No comments: