August 1, 2020

Best Recipes for Fresh Figs: The Sweet and the Savory

While searching for ways to use up my bumper crop of figs, I found that most recipes for cookies called for dried figs.  With a small adjustment, however, I discovered that these recipes could accommodate fresh figs just as well.  It simply required reducing the amount of liquid ingredients to compensate for the juicy figs.  This proved to be especially successful in the Italian cucidati recipe that I found online.  For the fig filling, I just used about 1/4 cup less orange juice than the recipe called for and simmered a bit longer in order to boil down to a paste.  For the lemon glaze, instead of using color sprinkles on top, I used crushed pistachios, which added better flavor.  The dough was enriched with a small amount of marscapone.  These were so decadently rich - they were almost sinful!


After polishing off various kinds of sweets with fig ingredients, I turned to the savory.  Sliced figs can be used as toppings on homemade pizza, fresh in salads,  and cooked into this curried chicken dish as well.



Now that the deluge of figs in South Carolina has waned, I can return to my studio and this blog will become one for visual arts once again. 

No comments: