January 24, 2019

Richland County Library Event: Meet the Artist Janet Kozachek and find out The Meaning Behind the Art

In one week I will be giving a lecture about the exhibition Transformations and Translations: The Art of Una Kim and Janet Kozachek. Professor Una Kim will be teaching back in Portland on the other coast at the time so unfortunately will not be in attendance. But we spoke on the phone about her work so I can hopefully elucidate the meaning behind her images. The talk, Meet the Artist - Janet Kozachek - The Meaning Behind the Art, will take place Thursday evening, January 31, at 6 PM at Richland County Library on 1431 Assembly Street in downtown Columbia, SC. If there are only twenty attendees or under, I will be handing out free signed copies of my book of rhymes for the cat, The Book of Marvelous Cats. Due to a snag in a printing order, I have some extra copies that could be put to good use.

Part of my lecture will be straightforward translations of the text in my work, because it is in Chinese. The other half of my lecture will be to explain the theme of transformations in the exhibition. Why is there a head that has a wolf sprouting from its chin on top of a high rise in Una Kim’s mixed media work You can be Replaced? What does the Chinese say in the corner of Janet Kozachek’s Oh Me! Oh My! My Grains! My Grains? Come to the lecture if you just have to know.

Many thanks again to the Confucius Institute at the University of South Carolina for their generous sponsorship of this event.

Please note: an earlier version of this post listed Friday, not Thursday as the day of the week for this talk.

No comments: